One of our good friends has his 30th birthday coming up (well actually, it was yesterday, but the party is tomorrow), and his wife has requested my 7 layer dip. I took this to the New Year’s party, where it disappeared in about fifteen minutes. I can’t claim it as my original recipe. My boss’s partner Cindy passed this recipe on to me after I begged for it following one of their parties (where it also disappeared with great rapidity).
- 1 pt sour cream (I use light)
- 1/2 pack taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans
- black olives
- green onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 haas avocados
- your favorite salsa
- lemon juice
- Puree the black beans (drained) with cilantro and cumin to taste (1/2 tsp each?). Layer on bottom of dish.
- For fresh guacamole pit and dice three avocados, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa, a splash of lemon juice, a pinch of salt and cilantro. Mash well. Layer over bean puree.
- Mix 1/2 pack of taco seasoning with the pint of sour cream. Layer over guacamole.
- Layer shredded lettuce, then green onions, then 1 small can of drained, sliced black olives, and top off with a healthy layer of shredded cheddar (I find medium works best).
Serve with tortilla chips.