In the category of things that make you go mmmmmmmmmmmm, I present to you, my mother-in-law’s sausage dip–lightened up, of course. This pairs great with homemade tortilla chips or, as my husband prefers, Fritos Scoops. With sausage and cheese, what’s not to love? Your favorite carnivore will thank you
- 1 lb turkey sausage (original recipe calls for pork, but I slashed the fat by 74%)
- 1lb Velveeta cut into 1/2 ” cubes (I used 2% Velveeta, cutting more fat)
- 1 7 oz can of mushrooms, drained (I have yet to make this with fresh mushrooms. If you try it, let me know how it turns out)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes and chiles
- skim milk
- Brown the sausage over medium high heat.
- Drain and rinse cooked sausage to get rid of any extra grease.
- In a 2 quart microwave safe dish (think Corningware), add the cubed Velveeta, the sausage, the undrained can of tomatoes and chiles and the mushrooms. Add a splash of milk (This really depends on how thick or thin you like your dip. I suggest starting with a splash and adding more as you get it melted.)
- Microwave in 1-2 minute increments, stirring well after each session in the nuker.
- It’s finished when all the cheese is melted and everything stirs together smoothly.
- Reheats well.
You could also make this dip in a small crock pot, though I’ve never tried that either (don’t have a small crock pot). This is great for a party. We make it every Super Bowl.