I’m in the midst of computer crisis, so I am amazed I remembered that I hadn’t scheduled this post. This soup about matches my temper regarding the morally-repugnant sociopath who’s out there sending viruses to responsible, computer savvy people who keep their antivirus and such updated. Grrr. Okay on to the soup. This is a pretty spicy soup, which I love. You can dial the heat up or down, depending on how much crushed red pepper you use. It’s nice and low cal, coming in at 80 calories and 0 grams of fat per serving (4 servings in a batch). I wouldn’t so much recommend it for summer unless you’ve got good AC because it totally gave me hot flashes. If you want to cool it down a bit, you can add a splash of cream/milk/half and half to turn it creamy.
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 jar (drained) of roasted red peppers
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 onion, diced
- Toss everything into the crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6. The ideal crock size for this one is a 4 quart one.
- Remove the top of your crock and CAREFULLY (as the soup is very hot) use an immersion blender to puree the veggies until smooth. You can certainly use a blender or large food processor for this step, but I’d let it cool off well first so that you don’t burn yourself.