Ok this is probably technically NOT a bolognese, but it seemed like a close enough approximation to me. It’s a nice, simple sauce, one that has a much richer flavor for something that actually doesn’t simmer all that long. A great one for splashing in some of whatever red wine you’re sipping while cooking. The sauce itself comes in at 404 calories and 12.8 grams of fat per serving (makes 2, to be served over approximately 2 oz. of pasta). It’s a nice flavorful addition to this week’s Presto Pasta Nights, hosted by Jen at Tastes of Home.
- 3 links sweet Italian turkey sausage (this would be the other half of the package you used for the stuffed mini-peppers)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup finely diced zucchini
- 1 cup rough chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 3 oz. dry red wine (I used a petite syrah)
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced red peppers
- Heat a skillet to 350 (medium).
- Add the sausage to the pan and break up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the garlic and zucchini. Cook for five minutes.
- Add the peppers, carrots, and mushrooms.
- Once the sausage is no longer pink, add the wine, stock, and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced. About 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over pasta of choice.