To continue our theme of biscuit variations, this week I tried out bacon cheddar biscuits. I think these might have been and even bigger hit than the sausage with hubby (I think I prefer the sausage myself–hard to beat something that tastes like sausage balls). They certainly disappeared fast enough. Makes 1 dozen biscuits.
- 3/4 c. brown rice flour
- 1 c. corn starch
- 1/4 c. sorghum flour
- 1tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 stick of butter (chilled in the freezer)
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp egg whites
- 5 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.
- Grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- Add the bacon.
- Add the buttermilk, water, vinegar and egg whites to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.
- Spray a couple of muffin tins with cooking spray and scoop the dough in.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to cool on wire racks.