So we tried using potato flakes as a breading for fish a while back and it was wonderful. I only just now got around to trying the same method on chicken. The end result was crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Hubs prefers the cornflake breading for chicken nuggets, but I really liked these. No idea what the nutrition info is. I never do when there is breaded stuff. But they’re baked, so how bad can they be? These are totally gluten free and would suit for the gluten intolerant or normal eaters alike. I feel vindicated. This is more of a method, so portions below are kind of vague. Please excuse the poor pic. We were in a HURRY and HUNGRY.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1.5-2″ chunks
- corn starch
- potato flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- garlic powder
- Season up your chicken chunks with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Your preference, just to get a little bit of flavor beneath the breading.
- Toss the chicken chunks in corn starch until well coated. Shake off any excess.
- Dredge the chicken nugget in the egg, then dip into potato flakes until well coated.
- Bake on a wire rack above a baking sheet (be sure to spray the rack with cooking spray).
- Allow to rest for about 20 minutes so the coating is good and stuck before you bake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.