A few weeks ago, we and some of our friends decided to have Fauxtober Fest. This was originally to have been an Oktoberfest birthday party for one of them, but some stuff came up and it had to be rescheduled. My contribution to the menu was this German potato salad and some gluten free pretzels that…um, need some work. But the potato salad was unanimously declared to be awesome (as anything involving bacon and cheese should). It’s one of those where you just don’t wanna know the fat and calories.
- 2 and a half pounds of Yukon gold potatoes
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 oz. smoked gouda, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp good dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Slice your potatoes about a quarter inch thick. I did these on the thickest setting of my mandolin slicer (watch your fingers!).
- Boil the potatoes about fifteen minutes until just done, then drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, sugar, paprika, salt, and pepper together, then pour over the warm potatoes. Toss until well coated.
- Add the bacon and cheese and toss until well distributed.
- Serve immediately or rewarm later. This was amazing right off and even better the second day.