Gluten Free Friday: Tortilla Torta
I got this recipe from Real Simple via email a few weeks ago and thought it looked marvelous. Then I looked at the servings. 8 out of a 9×9 casserole? What are they smoking? So I immediately set out to try to lighten this up so that we could arrive at an actually filling portion. I omitted the cup of cream entirely and cut a layer of tortillas (because really, there wasn’t enough chicken and yogurt mixture to make 3 layers). The original recipe served 8 (ha!) at 530 calories and 30 grams of fat. My version serves 4 (same size casserole, so actually a real serving) at 655 calories and 36.5 grams of fat. Double the portion for only a 125 more calories? Heck yeah.
- 7 corn tortillas
- 12 oz salsa verde
- 16 oz greek yogurt
- 8 oz. green chili peppers, chopped (2 4 oz. cans, drained)
- 12 oz rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut your tortillas in half.
3. Mix the chicken and yogurt.
4. Spray a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray and arrange 4 halves cut side to the outside with a 5th across the hole in the middle.
5. Pour half the salsa and spread.
6. Spread half the chicken and yogurt mixture.
7. Spread 4 ounces of the chilis.
8. Spread a third of the cheese.
9. Repeat with the next round of tortillas, salsa, chicken/yogurt, chilis and cheese.
10. Add the remaining tortillas (it’s okay if you have a hole in this top set) and top with the remaining cheese.
11. Cover with foil (you might want to spray the foil with cooking spray so your cheese doesn’t stick) and bake for 15-20 minutes.
12. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melty and a little brown.