I Write Like…

I had lunch with my local writer pal yesterday, and she told me about a website where you could chuck in some of what you’ve written and it’ll do some kind of textual analysis and tell you what famous writer you write like.  So for fun, I threw a BUNCH of stuff into it this morning.  Here’s what came up:

• Cory Doctorow from Riven, and a contemporary romance short I started
  • Dan Brown from Red and Whisper of Shadow
  • Ian Flemming from Devil’s Eye
  • Rudyard Kipling from Daughter of the Hunt
  • Kurt Vonnegut from a contemporary romance novella I started
  • P.G. Wodehouse from that romantic suspense I mentioned yesterday
  • Ursula K. Le Guin from the new opening to that romantic suspense I mentioned yesterday
  • J. R. R. Tolkien from Blindsight
  • Stephen King from Forsaken By Shadow

Now, I’ve also, in the past, done that OTHER website where it’ll tell you whether you write more like a man or a woman, and I DO frequently come up as writing with a more masculine style (at least in my Mirus stuff) [actually I just checked ALL those same pieces again in that generator, and every one of them came out as male], but I have to wonder if this generator is too overloaded with male samples.

How does your work stack up?  Who do YOU write like?

12 thoughts on “I Write Like…”

1. Susan Bischoff - June 28, 2013 11:16 am

I put in a couple random samples each from my two published books and got an even Cory Doctorow, Stephen King split.

2. Annikka Woods - June 28, 2013 11:36 am

James Joyce, Anne Rice, and Rudyard Kipling. I sampled three different WIPs. And all three of them came up as male writing.

3. Julie Glover - June 28, 2013 11:52 am

I plugged in chunks from two different books, and it gave me two writers I don’t even know.

But I really learned something that from gender one. I’m writing in more than one POV for a YA novel and was happy to find that the chapter in HER point of view came out solid female, while HIS point of view came out “weak male.” Guess I need to guy that one up a little, but at least the gender difference came out! :)

4. Darlene Steelman - June 28, 2013 11:59 am

I love that kinda stuff sometimes… I got different writers from different writing samples of mine.. I got Stephen King and Kurt Vonnegut from what I can remember.. definitely interesting! I think it is something to cheer up a writer who thinks their stuff may be lacking.. at least it is a boost of confidence.

5. M. Andrew Patterson (@M_A_Patterson) - June 28, 2013 12:07 pm

With a Fantasy story I wrote, I came up with Anne Rice. My YA contemp that I just finished was Chuck Palahniuk. Not sure with the new stuff I’m working on. I’ll have to check. 😀

6. Chris Hill - June 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Intesting! My blog = weak male or weak female (depending on the bit copy and pasted in) while my novel = strong male.

7. Lauralynn Elliott - June 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Okay, here’s why I wonder if this is just some random thing. Haunted Lake and Soul of a Vampire were both Stephen King. Which is awesome. Dark Relic:Vampires’ Curse is H.P. Lovecraft. Cool. But the only horror I wrote, The Gnome, came up as…Margaret Mitchell. What’s wrong with this picture?

8. nancygoldberglevine - June 28, 2013 1:34 pm

I write like David Foster Wallace. I haven’t read any of his stuff. My friend said I was the next Janet Evanovich, but I don’t think I write like her either (except for the humor).

9. The Writing Closet - June 28, 2013 3:15 pm

I write like Cory Doctorow, also and that’s just by a recent blog post I threw out there today on a whim. Pretty neat stuff.

10. hutch1957 - June 28, 2013 3:25 pm

I put a sci-fi and got Rudyard Kipling, for a erotic short story I got Anne Rice. Interesting.
    The same piece got a informal male and formal female likeness.

11. Gloria Weber - June 29, 2013 3:51 pm

I did a blog post like this before summer started… The trippiest thing it gave me was Stephen King for a MG novel that was not horror. How did I manage that?

12. denizb33 - July 5, 2013 10:36 am

I haven’t tried one of my stories in ages! I’ve gotten Rowling and Tolkien before. So very odd as I’m sure I’ve never used the words witch, wizard, elf or orc in any of my stories.