Note: This post is sticky. Scroll down for current content.
Okay, so I promised you all A CONTEST in conjunction with the Riven release. I am shamelessly (and with permission) swiping this idea from Kevin Hearne (author of the fantabulous Iron Druid series), who did this with Beer and a Book. I thought it sounded like FUN, but as I’m not really a beer drinker, I’m going to do with with tea and coffee, or whatever cuppa caffeine floats your boat. So, here’s the skinny:
I’ve got 10 copies of Riven to give away (ebook only, whatever format you desire). When I’m buried in writing and revisions, I don’t get the chance to read stuff or update my TBR as often as I would like. Now that I’m out, I want to DEVOUR some books, and I want RECOMMENDATIONS. That’s where you come in. You’re going to recommend books you love to me. And here’s how. You’re going to take a PICTURE. And just so you know, you’re being graded on creativity, not on whether I actually love the book you rec.
- Have FUN with this! Be goofy, be creative!
- Your still life must have a cuppa something and a book. Whatever else you include is totally a bonus. Because it’s my contest, and I like this kind of thing, extra bonus points if you can manage to include a pet!
- The book must not be one of mine. Because, yo, this is about me finding stuff to read, and I’m not looking for my own stuff, which is printed on the backs of my eyelids. And presumably you already read my books or you wouldn’t be interested in this contest.
- You can use hardcover, paperback, or ebook. If you’re using an ereader, please set the screen to the cover of the book so we can all see what you’re reading. The cover/title/author should be visible.
- It’s totally cool to have multiple books in there other than the particular one you’re focusing on, but again, none of my books.
- Also, if you’re drinking tea, let me know what you’re drinking because I’m always looking for new ones to try.
- Send your entries as a JPEG to kaitnolanwriter (at) gmail (dot) com with the subject “Riven Photo Contest”. I’m gonna create a filter that will hopefully keep everybody out of my spam folder. Entries sent via Twitter or Facebook won’t be counted. Please include in your email whatever name you want credited for your picture if you win.
- I’ll post the entries on my Facebook page everyday as they come in (because it’s high time I learned how to use the stinking thing, I guess), and you can like ‘em and stuff.
- I will pick 5 winners arbitrarily out of the ones that I like. And 5 more will get picked by who has the most likes (you can do that on Facebook, right?). If I can’t figure out how to make that work, then I’ll just pick 5 more at random, so that everybody has a chance to win, no matter what.
- Deadline to enter is September 30th.
Here’s my less than stellar example (I’m working with stuff I have in my office at the Evil Day Job, which isn’t much):
Go forth and photograph! And spread the word about the contest, if you would.