We are 2 weeks from Christmas and what am I listening to this morning? The Pacific Rim score (Ramin Djawadi–FABULOUS–he’s also the guy who composes the music for Game of Thrones). Because the music from a big monster movie is about where my mood is this morning. There’s nothing heinous or horrible wrong, just a lot of small annoyances that are piling on and making me stabbity. Evernote has been NOT syncing due to an “unexpected problem at the server” since November 25th and I STILL haven’t heard back in response to my tech support ticket. I’ve done EVERYTHING mentioned in the forums to fix it and nada. Given I use Evernote for EVERYTHING, this is problematic. I made my tea at 7:20 this morning. Know when I finally got to drink it? 9:45. This does not a Happy Kait make.
And if I don’t get my house clean today, I might kill someone. I SWEAR it was clean on Sunday. I did All The Things to make sure of it. WHAT HAPPENED? :wails: (Reason number 837 why I probably shouldn’t have kids) When stress is high on other fronts I Just Can’t Deal With Mess. It puts me into psycho cleaning mode with an eye twitch, during which I often drop and spill things things in my haste to try to make it better because I Just Can’t Deal. That is usually the point at which my husband forcibly makes me sit down, which I never want to do but he’s bigger than me.
So I’ve been all GOOSFRABA and trying to find my zen this morning. The constant stream of interruptions isn’t helping with that. Hence Pacific Rim. This is one of those days I wish I had a punching bag in my office. I used to have one forever ago. No idea what happened to it.
IN MORE POSITIVE NEWS the writing has actually been going well the last few days. I am down to the last piece of the last scene of this short story, which I hope to get to later today. Looking forward to passing this on to my critique partners and getting out to all of you soon. Also, tomorrow there will be THAI FOOD AND SHOP TALK with my local writer pal, which is always awesome. And the SUN IS SHINING after days of rain rain rain (which has a lot to do with the terrifyingly dirty state of my floors), so that is also a big YAY. Tomorrow night is boy’s night, so my mom and I will be settling in for a Girls Only viewing of The Sound of Music (the original, not the apparently terrible remake attempted by Carrie Underwood). Love me some Julie Andrews.
Must go finish real work.
Well, it took forever but Be Careful, It’s My Heart can now be purchased at iBooks! Pick it up as a relaxing, holiday read!
I can hardly believe it’s Sunday. This whole week has been a blur.
- Mom had her surgery. That went fine. We got her here and settled.
- I went back to work. Which was actually a refreshing and much needed return to routine. The older I get, the more I come to value routine. When you juggle as much as I do, I think disruptions–good or bad ones–make it hard to keep all those balls in the air.
- We put up the Christmas tree. This was actually a little sad-making. Last Christmas was our first in our new house–a house which has 12 foot ceilings in the living room. So last year we had the MegaTree. An 11 foot giant that taught us that maybe just because we CAN, doesn’t necessarily mean we SHOULD. Since Mom is tooling around in a wheelchair, we needed floor space, so we got a smaller, narrower tree this year, and this little 7′ Frasier Fir (which would’ve looked perfect in our old house in the tiny living room), looks just puny. It only holds half my ornaments. It’s a really minimalist decorating year either way this year. No Christmas village, no outside lights, no stockings. I didn’t even put on the bubble lights. The holiday season is too short this year, what with Thanksgiving being so late, and we’ve got too much going on.
- Yesterday I finally got back to writing after several days off. I’m nearly done with a fun little short project that I hope to release soon. All the various disruptions this week have made it hard for me to keep my head in the story–lots of stuff keeping me bound to the immediacy of what’s going on IRL. Not enough time for constructive daydreaming. Quite apart from my natural introverted tendencies, I just find that I need a lot of quiet time to hear myself think.
- It’s a catch up, cleaning, organizing, cooking kind of day here at Chez Nolan. We’re still shifting things around to accommodate a long term guest, trying to find homes for all our stuff that usually lives in the spaces she’s using. Despite there normally being only two of us, we actually USE our entire four bedroom house. There’s none of this having random guest spaces that just hang around and collect dust. We rarely have guests, so I don’t see the point in wasting space. Hubby and I both have our own interests and like having dedicated spaces for them. I need to do a big fridge and freezer clean out to reorganize and make room for the batch cooking I’m doing later today. And, of course, laundry. And cleaning the floors (which STAY nasty when it’s all rainy like this). Which I better get to.