It’s coming in late, but it’s still Thursday! This was a last minute inspiration after making a grocery run for ingredients for something else entirely. I had these two poblano peppers that I was going to turn into some kind of enchilada casserole, but then I decided to make another Mexican themed soup instead. The results were delicious and incredibly healthy, coming in at 445 calories and 1.6 grams of fat per hearty serving (makes 4). Of course I want to offer this up to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sundays.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cans Great Northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 24 oz. jar of salsa (I used a smoky chipotle salsa at medium heat)
- 1 packet sazon
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Dice your chicken.
- Deseed and dice the poblano peppers.
- Toss everything except the rice into your crock.
- Give it a stir.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
- During the last half hour, throw in the rice. Stir.
- Serve with sour cream (not included in calorie total)