I’ve been getting into the crock pot lately. That whole fix it and forget it quality is a wonderful thing. As fall is finally arriving, I’m starting to get in the mood for soup, so I devised this simple tomato soup.
- 2 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes in juice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 Tbsps granulated white sugar
- 4 Tbsp beef stock (or in my case, leftover drippings from the pot roast I made last night, also in the crock pot)
- 4 oz. fat free cream cheese, cut into 1/2 ” chunks
- Add both cans of tomatoes, the onion, stock, and sugar to crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully break up whatever is left of the tomatoes and blend until smooth.
- Add the cream cheese and repeat blending process until creamy.
- Garnish with fresh basil or thyme and a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesean cheese.
- Fabulous with grilled cheese sandwiches or on it’s own.
The entire pot (which makes about 6 cups of soup, I think) is 705 calories and half a gram of fat. I think it works out to around 117.5 calories per 1 cup serving.
That sounds so yummy for a nice, fall day!