We interrupt our regularly scheduled Part 4 of my Tome About Promo For Indies to make a Public Service Announcement.
In a Fail that makes the keyword screw up (still not fixed, btw) seem like small potatoes, last night, many Pubit authors, myself included, became aware that our books were marked as Public Domain (and all the keywords had disappeared–annoying but since mine never worked in the first place, that isn’t as big a problem). We sent out a Twitter blitz announcing it to others (I’m sure you’ll be seeing more of that today) to go check their works listed on Pubit within the Dashboard for each title. Of course I immediately went in to correct it. Of my two titles, last night Devil’s Eye was the only one affected. I updated that it most certainly was not public domain, and saved, republished. Tried to go back and re-enter keywords for both titles, but naturally the system crashed.
I went BACK this morning to check my sales, and went all the way into the listings again to check, only to find that BOTH my books were AGAIN marked Public Domain. I fixed it again and have posted on the Pubit Help Boards to help get more folks aware. Those who have emailed Barnes and Noble about this issue have been met by silence. Not sure if that’s obstinacy on their part or if they’re just THAT far behind on their tech support (which, frankly, would not be a shock). But either way this is so far into Unacceptable Territory, it’s not even funny.
Now as far as any of us can tell, there isn’t anything on the actual LISTING page that the customer sees that states public domain, and of course, there is the full copyright page within the files themselves, so I’m not precisely sure how this truly affects us, but it is a Problem of Epic Proportions–a glitch that seems to have snuck in while they attempt to fix other glitches (the sales reporting, the keyword issues). Here’s a tip, Barnes and Noble, beta testing on live authors and customers is a really crappy business decision.
Anyway, go check your books–I’d say daily or multiple times a day at this point. And email Barnes and Noble to let them know that this is not okay.
On a ROW80 front, I can report that on Sunday I wrote 341 words (I now take weekends off, so that was a bonus). Monday and Tuesday I didn’t get diddly done. But I have really really good excuses. On one hand, I received the tragic news that my oldest friend’s fiance died yesterday morning. It was very unexpected and she’s devastated and that totally takes precedence over writing. On the other, I also have some Really Big News that I hope to announce later today or tomorrow. So I claim Brain Explosion and say that this week, my focus is going to be on writing the last scene for the anthology story, and writing a LECTURE for my Learning and Behavior class. Not on my usual list of goals, but I have 4 of them left and I’m running out of lead time. I’ve been so so SO busy at work, that I haven’t been able to sneak in any work on them there and they MUST BE DONE. So I’m taking another week’s hiatus from Red to finish them so that they’re DONE and no longer hanging over my head.