Oh. My. God. Y’all. I just cannot tell you how FLIPPING AWESOME it was to sleep in my own bed last night. I just can’t. It was a bliss beyond words. And this morning, here I am on MY SOFA with a big cuppa tea in my favorite mug. It’s good to be home.
- In about fifteen minutes, when I finish said tea, the day is going to get very very busy, as I have a metric crap ton of stuff to get done today (laundry, grocery, cleaning, a memorial service, taking the Uhaul trailer with my uncle’s stuff up to Mom’s to unload it, return said trailer, go to Sam’s), but for now, bliss.
- I am really not clear how this “A hard mattress is better for your back” myth got perpetuated so long. I conclude it must have been a man suffering from Noassatall Syndrome, who could lay flat without his but getting in the way who started it. Our mattress at home is a pillow top, with a feather mattress pad, a feather bed, and 2 egg crates on top. We call it The Cloud. So 3 days of a concrete slab….yeah, happy to be back.
- The trip wasn’t as bad as I expected, and we came home with more family stuff than I’d planned, but that’s okay. Got a few kitchen things, a tray made by my great grandfather, couple of pieces of glassware, the cutest little retro (original) fondue set you ever saw, and most importantly to me, my grandfather’s Klipsch speakers and some of his records. HUGE sentimental value to me. If it makes the living room seem even smaller, so be it.
- I did NOT, of course, get a thing written this past week. I’m not beating myself up about it. There’s been lots going on. There will be lot going on this week, as boss will be gone ALL week and that means I am FINISHING the 4 lectures I have remaining for one of my classes this semester. This usually does bad things to my ability to produce fiction, so I’m shooting for a rewrite of the last scene and anything else is gravy.
- Also on the drive over, I loosely plotted out a YA Mirus novel, which I anticipate to be the first of a trilogy. It follows Emily Coulter, little sister of Rab, who I introduced you to in this character sketch a while back. She was being a real snot last week and insisted on hijacking my brain Now that I’ve written things down, we should be okay for a while.
- On the drive, I read Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton (YA alter ego of Kelly Gay, author of the awesome Charlie Madigan series). Without spoiling anything, I’ll just say that it is awesome and you should all read it.