- It’s been a really freaking long week. I’m just sayin’.
- I got the updated version of Blindsight uploaded at Smashwords and Amazon. It hasn’t yet been approved for premium distribution at Smashwords (because that seems to take FOREVER now), but you can get most formats between Amazon and Smashwords (it’s free at both), so if you’d like to read that last scene, go right ahead and download again. I’d love to hear y’all’s thoughts.
- After yesterday’s post about the Meh, I think the Magnificent Laurie McLean thought I might be ready to jump ship on Red in favor of Sexy Next Book. There was discussion of steel toed boots (with my permission) if I didn’t manage to get back on the wagon by the end of next week. Really, she should have just brought out the Pants of Shame. Because holy crap, what a motivator. Still, after all that, I wrote over 1600 words today. They weren’t necessarily fantastic words and 600 got chucked because I ended up taking the scene in a different direction, but I WROTE and I got unstuck on that scene and finished it. FINALLY. Onward tomorrow.
- Can I just say how much I don’t want to go back to work tomorrow? It just bears mentioning again. I have not had nearly enough downtime from my boss.
- I’ve spent my weekend sleeping, cooking, doing laundry, grocery shopping, and going to the local roller derby as photographer’s assistant. That was a lot of fun. I had a pretty decent number of keepers out of the bunch and got a few fabulous crashes.
- Regarding Operation G.I.T., I’m not going near a scale for a week. During my week away I was good in that I exercised EVERY DAY. Not as much as usual and definitely not enough to offset everything I ate, but minimum half an hour. I mean really, I got up BEFORE SIX to do this (as we were working 10-12 hour days). I did NOT work out today as I spent all of it parked on the sofa working on this scene. But otherwise, my goal is to get back on the healthy eating train, back onto the FULL workout train, and get my body fully reset, debloated, and back to normal. I’ll brave the scale next Monday.
- I finally figured out how I can combat (i.e. modify) crane pose. I’ve discovered that if I prop my feet against a closed door or wall to maintain my balance, I can actually HOLD the blasted thing for a minute. Maybe technically that’s cheating but I’ll never get my arms strengthened if I don’t modify it somehow so that I can actually DO IT. I say it counts because holy crap can I feel it today!
- Hope all the dads out there had a marvelous Father’s Day!
How did you get Amazon to let you put Blindsight on there free? By having it free somewhere else then telling them about it? Also, I’m glad you mentioned the premium catalog on Smashwords because I have a short story that I’m working on (the idea’s been in my head forever!) and I wasn’t sure if you could put something free in the premium catalog.
I’m glad you’re back to work on Red. It’s normal to get stuck every now and then.
I can’t imagine even trying crane pose. I did learn to stand on my head by doing Yoga years ago, so I guess anything is possible.
Yep. It’s at Barnes and Noble for free, so I listed it for 99 cents at Amazon and reported the cheaper price. Eventually the free kicked in.
Crane sounds painful!! – good to hear about Red – did you decide change of direction or did the characters? – just interested!
I had just read Blindsight last week so I was curious to see how you changed the ending, since I absolutely loved it before. Wow. Keep it up! I cannot wait to see where you take Ransom and Isla!! Great alternate ending!
I LOVE the new ending! Can’t wait for Revelation!!
I have already downloaded (and read) Blindsight from Amazon, so it won’t let me get the updated version. I have never used Smashwords, and I have a Kindle. Is that my only recourse — to try to get it from Smashwords? — BTW I have read, and enjoyed, a number of the books by other authors that you mention in your posts. (I am a 71-yr-old grandma with a husband who has Alzheimer’s, whom I am caring for at home, and I read a lot!) Thanks for sharing your writing gifts with all of us readers! 🙂
So if a new version is uploaded on Amazon it won’t let you just download the file again and it won’t download the current version? Huh. Well Smashwords does have the kindle format, you would just have to sideload it (or since it’s just one scene you could download one of the formats like HTML or PDF to read on your computer).
Amazon won’t let me buy (even for free) any title that I have already gotten. If you were to slightly change the title (say to Blindsight Enhanced or Blindsight + Bonus), then I could download it again. (I accidentally did that once before when another author did it, giving me two copies of the same story, with a bonus on the second one.) I have started the process with Smashwords, but it requires jumping through several more hoops, whereas with Amazon, I buy with OneClick and it’s on my Kindle in a couple of minutes. MUCH easier.
Smashwords also has an option to read it online from your desktop, which is what I did. Since its just one chapter, it didn’t take very long. 😉