We have been ALL ABOUT THE SOUP in our house this last week. Know why? Because IT IS OCTOBER and fall weather is finally starting to arrive. Okay, it’s Mississippi, which means cooler nights, and days still in the 80s, but we take what we can get after a brutal summer of 100+ temps. Fall, for me, means roasted vegetables (among other things). And tomato soup was exactly the ticket. This makes 4 1 1/2 cups servings at 120 calories and 3.7 grams of fat. It’s marvelous with a grilled cheese or some focacia.
- 2 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1 packet beef flavor boost (This is a new product by Swanson that I just had to try)
- 1 tbs Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Drain off liquid from tomatoes and reserve.
3. Peel and quarter the onion.
4. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and add the tomatoes and onion.
5. Drizzle with olive oil. You’ll probably use more than a tablespoon but you won’t be dumping the whole contents into the crock pot after roasting.
6. Sprinkle with Herbs de Provence, salt, and pepper.
7. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
8. Scoop the tomatoes and onions into your crock pot.
9. Add the wine, flavor boost, and reserved tomato juice.
10. Stir and cook on low for 4 hours.