So we can all agree that book piracy sucks. Know what sucks even more? People trying to illegally SELL our work. Courtesy of Google Alerts, I found out about 45 minutes ago that Red and Forsaken By Shadow are both illegally listed at Bkspc.com. So are my friend Susan Bischoff’s books and a whole lot of others. It’s not limited to just self published books either. I’ve seen books by Carina Press, Penguin and other publishers on this site.
The site is hosted through GoDaddy, so it is important that you, as author, check to see if your books are listed, and then follow the directions below to file a complaint in order to see that the domain is suspended and have GoDaddy cancel this asswipe’s hosting.
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD.
B. Copyright Claims (from GoDaddy’s Legal Dept.)
1. If the Complaining Party would like to submit a copyright claim for material on which you hold a bona fide copyright, Go Daddy requests that the Complaining Party substantiate such claim by providing Go Daddy with the following information via email to email@example.com. The words “Copyright Claim” should appear in the subject line. A copyright claim can also be submitted by mail to: Copyright Agent, Go Daddy, 14455 N. Hayden Road, Suite 219, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
To be considered effective, a notification of a claimed copyright infringement must be provided to Go Daddy and must include the following information:
- An electronic signature of the copyright owner, or a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of an exclusive copyright that has allegedly been infringed.
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works on that site.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit Go Daddy to locate the material.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Go Daddy to contact the Complaining Party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the Complaining Party may be contacted.
- A statement that the Complaining Party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the Complaining Party is the owner, or is authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
2. For Copyright Claims, upon receipt of appropriate notification from the Complaining Party, pursuant to Section 1 of Copyright Claims above, Go Daddy will remove or disable access to the material that is claimed to be infringing.
3. If the Complaining Party provides Go Daddy with appropriate notification, pursuant to Section 1 of Copyright Claims above, including information reasonably sufficient to permit Go Daddy to locate and remove or disable the material in question, or includes information concerning repeat infringement, then Go Daddy will forward the Complaining Party’s written notification to such alleged Infringer and shall take reasonable steps promptly to notify the Infringer that it has removed or disabled access to the material.
For the complaint you need this information (courtesy of the fabulous and brilliant Jay Donovan):
Contact info of the owner:
Registrant Name: Xuhong Wang
Registrant Street: No. 699, Team 5, Gejialu Village Registrant
Street: Haizhou Country
Registrant City: Kangping
Country Registrant State/Province: Liaoning
Registrant Postal Code: 110000
Registrant Country: China
Registrant Phone: +86.13022421175
Registrant Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
site IP address: Address: 22.214.171.124
Domain registered: 2013-09-06
UPDATED: THERE’S ANOTHER ONE:
Domain Name: KINBK.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1772822438_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2014-05-08 03:43:56
Creation Date: 2013-01-11 22:32:25
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-01-11 22:32:25
Registrant Name: Neil Jennings
Registrant Street: 1916 Freedom Lane
Registrant City: Stockton
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 95219
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Phone: +1.2093516430 R
Registrant Email: email@example.com
Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog….. An Author Promotions Enterprise!.
Hi Kait. I checked this site out on Sam Adviser and the results are below.
I often check my books to find they’re on illegal sites and I put in complaints and warnings in Scam Adviser. Best of luck with this. My books aren’t on this site (yet)
Reblogged this on Jonas Lee's Imaginarium and commented:
Good thing to check out even if you don’t think it applies to you…
Reblogged this on mishaburnett and commented:
Didn’t have any of mine, but it’s a huge collection–check for yours.
Reblogged this on Michelle Proulx – The Blog and commented:
Site is illegally selling eBooks and making money that should be going to the author! Check the site to see if yours is on there, and then report to GoDaddy’s legal department if it is!
Reblogged this on T. M. E. WALSH and commented:
PLEASE READ – Site is illegally selling eBooks! Check the site to see if yours is on there, and then report to GoDaddy’s legal department if it is!
Reblogged this on geraldineevansbooks and commented:
Please spread the word about this.
Authors (myself included) work hard writing our books, trying to persuade people to buy them and generally get the word out. Most of us don’t earn a fortune. So it’s one thing to put up with piracy, which some authors contend helps their books and quite another to put up with this.
I’d be grateful if you would share this to your social media friends.
Reblogged this on Richard's Ramblings and commented:
This is concerning…
Reblogged this on Paula Acton and commented:
While everyone knows clamping down on internet piracy is like trying to put out a fire with a water pistol but this is not a case of a fan sharing something they love but someone trying to rip people off and profit from others work. Several authors have found their work listed without their knowledge and with them receiving no recompense, please if you are a writer make sure your work is not listed here
Thanks for the heads up. Don’t see my stuff on there, luckily.
There is a lot of theft of intellectual property, especially from China and that city in particular.
Good luck getting any kind of cooperation from the person in China. A few years ago I went round and round with a content pirate from Canada. People in other countries can ignore DMCAs from the US without penalty, in most cases. Either their country doesn’t recognize the notice, or it isn’t important enough for them to track down. There are other ways to get these types of pirates to back down, but it takes a dedicated effort from a coordinated group. If you want more details … http://nopirates.blogspot.com/2012/08/consolidated-posts-weeks-worth-of.html