Since my plan for freezing my last big batch of pizza dough did not go QUITE as expected (despite being oiled, all the balls froze together in the bag), I wound up having to defrost more than I had intended, so I’ve been developing new ways to use it. I tried out a Mexican themed calzone for supper tonight, which wasn’t bad, but still needs some work and tweaking before I share it with all of you. But plan B, plan B was to make a dessert pizza using some of the massive pile of fruit we need to eat. Since the tarts turned out so well, this was the next logical step.
- Pizza dough of your choice (this is mine)
- 4 oz cream cheese (I used that 1/3 less fat neuchfatel stuff I can’t spell), room temp softened
- 2 teaspoons of Splenda
- more Splenda
- 2 medium or 3 small apples, peeled and sliced thin
- spray butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out your pizza dough. If you actually manage to make it a pretty circle then you’ve got more skills than I do. Anyway, roll it out as thick or thin as you prefer.
- Put the cream cheese in a bowl and mix with 2 teaspoons of Splenda. Stir until well incorporated.
- Spread the sweetened cream cheese over the dough.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the cream cheese.
- Place apple slices in a single layer over the cream cheese in whatever design you like.
- Spritz the apples with the spray butter (you know, like that Parkay buttery spray or I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray).
- Sprinkle more cinnamon over the apples.
- Sprinkle Splenda (to taste) over the apples.
- Bake for 18 minutes on pizza stone or pizza pan.
OMG, this was delicious. Hubby drizzled honey over his, but I liked it exactly as it came out of the oven. Piping hot with lots of melty cream cheese and apples that still had a bit of bite to them.
This recipe on Key Ingredient.
wow this is original…i like the idea of honey over it – i am going to make this! Thx for sharing 🙂