I’ve been gone for ages! I’ve been out of town for a week and playing catch up since I got back. But for my inaugural post back, I decided to do my own take on a a Stauffer’s casserole I had recently. It had a decent flavor, but not enough chicken and vegetables. So in my version, I decided to swap out the white rice with brown, up the chicken, and more veggies so that it was actually a full meal. The end results weren’t bad, but I think it still needs a bit of tweaking. Something to give it a little more zing. At 480.5 calories and 14.7 calories per serving (serves 6), it’s worth playing around with some more.
- meat from a rotisserie chicken, diced
- 4 cups of brown rice
- 2 cans cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced, garlic
- 4 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp parsley
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, rice, mushrooms, soup, stock, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic until tender crisp.
- Add the peas and saute until warm.
- Add to the chicken and rice mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add to a 9×13 baking dish (be sure to spray with cooking spray first!).
- Top with panko bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is slightly golden brown.