I’m on a perpetual crusade to make the perfect baked chicken strips/nuggets. I think I’ve done them with panko before, but previously I used egg as the binding ingredient. This time I went with low fat buttermilk, and I really think this worked best. I think the buttermilk sticks better to the chicken and hence allows the breading to stick better. It’s a good, low-fat, healthy alternative to classic fried chicken nuggets.
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- low fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- panko bread crumbs
- Cut the chicken into nuggets (I made mine between 2-3 inches).
- In a medium sized bowl, add the chicken, buttermilk, garlic powder, and Tabasco sauce. Allow to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Spread a layer of panko in a pie plate.
- Shake the excess buttermilk and dip each piece in breadcrumbs.
- Set a baking rack over a baking sheet and place each breaded piece on the rack.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
The nuggets looks amazing. It’s more healthy than my deep fried version. I think I will make the nuggets this way now. Thanks for sharing.