I never eat much in the way of interesting for breakfast during the week. I’m not a morning person, so breakfast is an autopilot affair most of the time. Scrambled eggs, toast, and tea, every day. But weekends, usually Sunday mornings, hubby and I like to have something more interesting. He’s a big fan of waffles and pancakes, and usually so am I, but I wasn’t in the mood for sweet this morning. So I went for a hashbrown casserole instead. This isn’t the hashbrown casserole you’re used to with breakfast sausage. It’s WAY healthier. You’ve all heard me wax poetic about the gourmet chicken sausages from Sam’s and that’s what he requested. This base was quite tasty, though next time I’d love to jazz it up with some mushrooms, peppers and zucchini (which would make it an anti-hubby food). Serves 4 at 254 calories and 9 grams of fat.
- 4 cups thawed, shredded hash browns
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 3 roasted garlic and mozzarella sausages
- 1/3 cup 2% fiesta blend cheese
- 2 scallions (greens only), diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make sure to press all the extra moisture out of the hashbrowns.
- Beat one egg and mix with the hashbrowns, pressing the mixture into an 8×8 baking dish (be sure to spray with cooking spray first).
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the 2 remaining eggs with the egg whites. Set aside.
- Slice the sausages lengthwise, then dice.
- Once the crust is baked, top with the sausage.
- Pour the eggs over them.
- Top with cheese and scallions.
- Bake for 25 minutes.