I spent my morning beating my head against the All Romance Ebooks upload system. Crankiness ensued. Lots of swearing. Because if you make a single error it doesn’t just let you fix that field, it erases all of your data. Very frustrating. In the end, I finally have all of my titles uploaded and for sale. Yippee. I thought, perhaps, I should make a post about how to save yourself some frustration.
Now, unlike Smashwords, Kindle, and Pubit, ARe does not actually convert anything for you. So you need to do your homework and learn how to create the relevant formats and make an ARe version with updated license notes, etc. I’ve talked at length in other posts about how to do this. Use Sigil for EPUB, Mobipocketcreator for PRC, Adobe for PDF (there are many programs available for making this conversion), and OpenOffice Writer for HTML. There are a million other formats (okay, like 6) that ARe allows you to upload, but I know nothing about them and they aren’t the mainstream ones, so I’m not going to talk about them here.
So a few things that ARe doesn’t mention until after you screw it up:
- Dates must be in the mm/dd/yyyy format.
- Prices must be in the $$.$$ format (so if you list something for free, you can’t just type 0).
- There can be no spaces or punctuation in file names.
- Cover files must be EXACTLY 200×300 (not up to).
- You actually do have to enter the word count and number of pages (word count makes sense but the whole concept of number of pages for an ebook is ridiculous as it is different on each device).
- The whole process of searching for and selecting an author is a multistep process that involves all clicking and no pressing of Enter as that will screw things up.
- You do have to have an ISBN number.
I just plugged in the one assigned to my books by Smashwords.You can’t just chuck in an ISBN from Smashwords, but you can email them and they will provide a 13 digit alternate ID. This is located in the FAQ (which is not easy to find).
I THINK that’s all the stuff I managed to screw up over the 2 hour process of getting 3 titles ready and uploaded. There may be other ways to muck things up, but hopefully this will save you some headaches. And now I’m off to do some yoga.