Continuing my cook-a-thon for my friend, I also made a vegetable lasagna. I’d really like to try this same recipe of filling with manicotti. Will add it to the list of things to try… Oh, and hey, it’s noodles, so I guess this is my submission for this week’s Presto Pasta Round Up, hosted by Hillary of Chew on That.
And just another announcement for foodie bloggers, don’t forget to submit your entry for this week’s Thoughtless Thursday round up!
- 16 0z bag frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed of excess liquid
- 2 medium zucchini, grated, squeezed of excess liquid
- 16 oz part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar marinara sauce of choice (I used Bertolli tomato and basil)
- 1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 4 oz. mozzarella and 4 oz. parmesean for topping
- Put your water on to boil for the noodles.
- Grate, thaw, squeeze zucchini and spinach as needed.
- In a large bowl, beat the two eggs.
- Add the ricotta and 4 oz. mozzarella. Mix well.
- Add the spinach and zucchini. Mix well.
- Add the garlic.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add noodles to boiling water and boil for approximately 8 minutes. You want it just under aldente since it will keep cooking in the oven.
- When noodles are done, drain and rinse in cold water (you want them cool enough to handle with your fingers.
- In a large baking dish (at least 2 inches deep, 9×13), begin layering pasta, sauce, ricotta veggie mixture. I wound up with 3 layers of each, plus an additional layer of noodles and sauce.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees until internal temp reaches 170. I’m not quite sure how long this is, as I only partially cooked mine to give as freezer food to a friend.