I got this recipe from my mother in law who got it, I think, from Southern Living. It’s so simple and surprisingly delicious. A fantastic accompaniment to, well frankly, any kind of meat other than fish. It’s particularly yummy served with beef or chicken.
- 2 medium to large Vidalia or other sweet onions. You can also use white onions, but the sweet are better.
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 Tbsp margarine
- Cut the top and bottom off of each onion and remove papery skin.
- Using a paring knife, cut a little hole in the top of each onion, large enough to fit a bouillon cube.
- Slip a bouillon cube in each onion and place 1 Tbsp of margarine over the top of each. You may substitute a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil instead of the margarine.
- Set the onions in a microwave safe dish and cover.
- Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes (8 for medium onions, 10 for large ones).
Voila! You’ll have a delicious and tender side dish.