Well I took 32 books to the used book store to trade today. They took 28. I came home with 17 new books, 3 of which were gifts for someone else. For ME, the name of the game was paranormal, werewolves in particular. I’m trying several new authors, so we’ll see how it goes. I got:
- Touch a Dark Wolf: Jennifer St. Giles
- Full Moon Rising: Keri Arthur
- Bound By Shadow: Anna Windsor
- New Moon: Rebecca York
- Killing Moon: Rebecca York
- Stolen: Kelley Armstrong
- Bitten: Kelley Armstrong
- Beyond the Pale: Savannah Russe
- Vampires Are Forever: Lynsay Sands (okay, not werewolf, but my buddy’s been bugging me to read her because I love Katie MacAllister)
- Dark Embrace: Brenda Joyce
- She’s No Faerie Princess: Christine Warren
- Walk on The Wild Side: Christine Warren
- Soul Song: Marjorie M. Liu
- Night Play: Sherrilyn Kenyon
It’s really probably wrong of me to have bought all of these when I know perfectly well I’m going to have to focus on my lectures come Monday, but I couldn’t resist.
And as I’ve been sitting here looking up the Amazon links to all of these books, I have to say that one of mymajor book pet peeves is the fact that it seems the majority of publishers don’t put either the listing and proper order of a series anywhere in the inner pages or put the number that particular book is somewhere on the cover. For heaven’s sake DON’T just say “A [fill in the blank] novel”. Say “Book #, A [fill in the blank] novel”. Throw a reader a bone here! I picked up what I thought was the first book in Lynsay Sands series. It turned out to be book 8. I was trying to pick up the beginnings of several series. A few I was lucky enough to guess right based on publication dates and such, but I’ve got several that aren’t the first. I sincerely hope that those aren’t the sorts of series that require reading in order–you know the kind where each book is a different character but the same sort of world. That’s the kind I’ll be writing.
Buying werewolf books is never wrong. I strongly recommend the ‘Kitty’ series by Carrie Vaughn.
I hate that business with not listing series in order SO SO much!!
I still have Bitten on my TBR pile. Let me know how it is.