I love, adore, cannot get enough of pancetta. I see it on the Food Network all the time, but it’s hard to find in my tiny town. So when I do, I buy it with the intention of doing something wonderful with it. Well, I found it a while ago, got busy, threw it in the freezer–and forgot about it. I unearthed it for tonight’s pasta, as I’m on my own and can indulge in my love of onions. I originally wanted to do this with zucchini as well, but my zucchis were well past their date of expiration, so we went with a limited veggie list. It was definitely worthy of my maiden voyage into the Presto Pasta Roundup. This week’s Roundup is hosted by Aquadaze of Served With Love.
- 3 oz. pancetta, diced
- 2 cups dry pasta
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of baby bella mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Put your pasta on to boil in salted water.
- Meanwhile, place pancetta and diced onion in skillet over medium heat. The pancetta will render plenty of fat to cook the onion in, and cooking it over a lower heat allows the flavor to sweat out.
- When pancetta is starting to brown and onions are translucent (approximately 7 minutes), add garlic and mushrooms.
- Sautee for approximately 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse your pasta.
- Toss pasta with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add pancetta mixture and parmesan and toss well.
The verdict: This was delicious, though I still wished I’d had some zucchini and crushed red pepper flakes (we’re out) for a bit of a kick. The hard part was not going back for seconds!
Nutritional info on this dish (serves 2 btw) worked out to 669 calories and 25 grams of fat.
This recipe on Key Ingredient.
Thanks for your entry Kait…I love pancetta, can’t wait to try this one 🙂
It is lovely! Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights and I do hope to see you back often.
Thanks! Pasta is a favorite food for me, so I hope to have it more often!