Well after opening my big mouth to talk about my fabulous productivity on Monday, yesterday was a massive fail on the writing front. I was shooting for 800 words, wound up with 220. Ick. I wrestled with it all day long trying to figure out a small but crucial detail of this next scene (that affects the beginning and how the rest of the scene goes). About 8 last night I realized it was because there is a concept of this world that’s very important to the scene that I’d never said anything about. Ever. So technically I was facing an explanation of some magnitude which would totally slow down the pacing of a scene that should be pretty urgent. (This was largely because I hadn’t made up my mind about that detail until I got to this scene).
The solution: go back and seed it earlier. I did a bit of that last night, though not to my satisfaction. At the moment there are 3 or 4 lines in assorted prior scenes that stick out like sore thumbs. And they can stay that way until the revision.
In any event, I hope to pick things up again today and get rolling on this next scene.