Happiness, thy name is pasta. High, fiber, whole grain pasta (not a whole lot actually) couched in a lovely, light, veggie laden sauce with just enough sausage to add a nice layer of flavor without adding a lot of fat. It’s a fantastic return to the world of HEALTHY carbs. And it’s a great example proving that you don’t have to have a GINORMOUS bowl of pasta to be satisfied. This dish is actually mostly a thick and chunky sauce. I figured it would be a great, entry for Presto Pasta Nights, hosted this week by Ruth herself.
- 2 links Italian turkey sausage
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 15 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes
- 4 oz. baby bella mushrooms, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- pinch salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 oz. part skim mozzarella, grated
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta (I used penne)
- Remove the sausage from the casing and brown it.
- In a separate skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and throw in the zucchini, onion, and garlic. Saute for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the browned sausage.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Add the rosemary, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and basil.
- Add the can of tomatoes.
- Start your pasta water boiling while the sauce simmers.
- Add the pasta. Cook for approximately 6 minutes, then add drained pasta to the simmering sauce.
- Continue to simmer the sauce until the pasta is al dente. You may need to add a shot of chicken broth to have enough liquid for this as the liquid reduces.
- Serve with grated mozzarella.
Thank you for sharing. Cheers !
Delicious! And perfect for South Beach Diet, phase II. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.
Roasted veggies and sausage go so well in pasta. They can dress anything up!