So the year is slightly more than half over. As is the norm, I made goals. Then hubby broke his leg and I forgot all about goals. Then I found out the department where I teach part time would be hiring two full time instructors. I applied because it would be a way out from the crazy that is my boss, and I desperately wanted that.
I found out today that I didn’t get the job. Actually, let’s be more accurate, I haven’t specifically heard a word, but I found out that one of my friends signed his offer letter today. So apparently they skipped the interview process entirely and just made offers. I didn’t get one. I am mostly okay with this. Once I heard about some of my competition, I worked on making myself okay with the notion of staying. So I’ve come to terms with that. This wasn’t a surprise. There were other far more qualified people for the position and the department isn’t ready to move forward with their online program, which is what I am most qualified to help them do.
I’m not crushed. But I am…conflicted. I’d gotten to the point where I wasn’t certain that teaching in person was the right way to go. Developing multiple classes would have put an end to my writing this year. There’s also a component of “the devil you know.” As crazy as my boss is, I still manage to juggle stuff and write. I’d already basically said “God, if I’m not supposed to do this, just don’t let them offer me the job.” Well, I guess God has spoken. Yes, Sir.
So I felt compelled to go back and revisit what my goals WERE for this year.
- Finish Forsaken By Shadow and release it. CHECK
- Redraft Hunted in Shadow and prep for submission by 2011. DEFUNCT. I put this one to bed and have since abandoned the traditional route of publishing.
- Plot out and write a second novella. IN PROGRESS. That was supposed to be Revelation and then that ran long and then came Edge of Shadow.
- Develop another online class for the 4 year university. IN PROGRESS.
- Read John Truby’s Anatomy of Story. I haven’t done this one yet, but I’ll get there.
- Track my productivity. IN PROGRESS.
- Make this year the year of exercise, where I make fitness a priority. IN PROGRESS.
So overall, I’m doing a pretty good job meeting my goals despite the leg break. Since I 86ed Hunted in Shadow, I’d like to revise my writing goals to finish and release Edge of Shadow. I’d like to finish plotting and begin writing out the stand alone YA I’m playing with, which would be good to serialize before release. I’ll tell y’all about that in another future post. Other than that…just keep plugging along. Stealing writing time where I am able and seeing what I can do on the indie front.
And if that’s not enough, here’s a great post weighing up traditional publishing vs. ebook publishing by Robert Walker.