As one of my fridge clean out “Must Use” ingredients, I had a ball of fresh mozzarella pearls. I wasn’t really in the mood for caprese salad, which was actually what I’d bought it for before it got lost in the bowels of the cheese and meat drawer, and I had some puff pastry just waiting to be put to use, so the natural conclusion was a rustic tart. The end result was tasty and delicious, if a little juicy. It’s the perfect use for some of those tomatoes from your garden. Makes 4 servings.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- approximately 1 cup of sliced/chopped tomatoes
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella
- cooking spray
- handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Roll out the puff pastry and layer it in a large pie dish. Roll any excess pastry up at the edges.
- Be sure to prick the bottom with a fork to prevent it from puffing up too much and dislodging your filling.
- Cover the bottom with the cheese.
- Add the tomatoes and basil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until pastry edge is golden brown.