Nothing like sitting down to write a PROGRESS REPORT and having to say “I cut 5,500 words of the 7,000 words I had on this new novel.” But that’s where I am with Something’s Gotta Give. The first act JUST WASN’T GELLING. I’ve reached a point where if I have trouble for more than a couple days, I trust my gut that I’ve done something wrong. I went a little longer than that this time since there’s been so much distracting me at the Evil Day Job that I haven’t had my brain fully on the book. But I pulled out one of my tarot decks last night (Paulina, which is lovely and has glorious and beautiful artwork) and asked if I was going in the wrong direction. And I pull The Fool reversed–aka making foolish decisions. Well okay then. That just bears out my gut. So I ask her (the deck has a distinctly feminine vibe) if I can just start at the inciting incident (which is one of my candy bar scenes and the point at which things get interesting)–4 of Pentacles reversed–aka girl, you’re being greedy. Le sigh. So I did some more spreads to figure out the new direction and came up with some stuff that will, I think, be better. I’ve got 4 of the 5 scenes I axed sorted out in the outline and now just have to figure out the details of the opening scene where we meet Judd, which I hope to knock out tonight when hubby heads in to work.
I’ve been out of my groove and routine the last two weeks, so this week is all about GETTING THINGS BACK TO NORMAL. My wrists are finally feeling much better after a hideous carpal tunnel flare that kept me out of the gym, so it’s back to the grindstone there tomorrow. I was back to taekwondo this past week after missing 3 classes. I’ve been so-so with keeping up on the 30 Day Yoga Challenge. I’m on Day 14, but I’ve missed the last 3 days because we’re trying to limit our streaming at home, as we’re on fumes for our internet bandwidth this month. It occurred to me this morning that I could probably do it on my phone since I still have my grandfathered in unlimited data.
After making some changes to the website, I’m starting the slow and very long process of updating each of my 530+ recipe posts–one-by-one–in order to ultimately have a nice, browseable thumbnail gallery. When I merged everything into one site, I didn’t think about HOW MUCH stuff I had from both, so I’ve been trying to simplify things to improve the user experience. There’s a lot of stuff on the site that people looking for recipes won’t care about, and a lot of recipe stuff that writers or readers may not care about. So…Maybe I’ll get that done by January.