Since we had some different beer in the fridge, I thought I’d try my hand at another variation. This one uses honey instead of sugar. Sorry, the loaf didn’t survive for a picture.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 cup wheat germ
- 1/8 cup milled flax
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup honey (hint: if you spray your measuring cup with cooking spray, the honey will slide right out)
- 1 12 oz. bottle of beer (I used Budweiser American Ale)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease an 8 inch loaf pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Slowly add the beer and stir until just combined.
- Press into loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to rack and cool for 10 minutes (if you can wait that long!)
This was pretty good, though I think I prefer the last batch I made better. This would be improved, I think, by the addition of more honey.