To continue my experimental streak, today I’m trying maple muffins. I’ve got a box of instant maple brown sugar oatmeal to do something with (as I tend not to eat them on their own unless it’s freezing outside and in Mississippi this time of year its….not).
- 3 packets maple brown sugar oatmeal (this is slightly over 1 cup of oatmeal)
- 1 tbsp. double acting baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. skim milk
- 3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I used sugar-free because it’s what I had, but if you can get ahold of the real deal, I guarantee the results will be wonderful)
- 1 lg. egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Spray 12 (3 inch) muffin cups with Pam or use metal muffin liners.
- Preheat oven to 375°F degrees.
- Stir together the applesauce, milk, egg, oil and maple syrup (Cook’s note: if you spray your measuring cup with cooking spray, the syrup will slide right out). Set aside.
- Stir together the oatmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Make a well in the center, and add the applesauce mixture. Stir until well combined, but do not over beat.
- Pour into the muffin tin. Each cup should be 2/3 full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Makes 1 dozen muffins