So there was potato salad left over after our Easter gathering. My different take on the usual did not go over well with my picky, plebian family. Although my husband, who typically hates real potato salad, ate all of his. Thank you hubby. Anyway, since it was full of potatoes, sour cream, scallons, and bacon (among other things), I thought, hey, I’ll add cheese and make loaded potato croquettes. Since I am on a quest to try to lighten things up, I baked these instead of frying them.
- leftover potato salad (I had maybe 5 cups left)
- 1/4 cup Egg beaters
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a potato masher, mash up the potato salad. It isn’t necessary to make it all small and smooth, just break up the biggest chunks of potato.
- Dump in the Egg Beaters and mix well.
- Add the cheese and mixed well.
- Scoop out spoonfuls (1/3 to 1/2 cup) of potato mixture and form into a ball. Flatten and dip in breadcrumbs until well coated. Continue until all croquettes are formed.
- Arrange on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until coating is golden brown.