After returning home from Oktoberfest and lots of overeating and not healthy food, I’m ready to reset my body with healthy food. I just can’t take the greasy, fast food and gas station snacks that are part and parcel of road trips. One of my favorite go to veggie sides is straight up roasted vegetables. They’re easy, versatile, and reheat really well. You can use any veggies, but the ones listed below are what I use most often. Other veggies that work well with this–any kind of squash, sweet potatoes, asparagus, bell peppers, green beans–pretty much you name it. Roasting them really brings out the natural sweetness of them. Absolutely delicious.
- 6 red potatoes, sliced
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups of baby carrots
- 4 oz. mushrooms
- 1 package of snow peas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix the potatoes, onions, carrots, and zucchini with the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Scoop the veggies out (don’t dump as you want the leftover oil and vinegar to remain in the bowl), into the roasting pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the mushrooms and snow peas with the remaining vinegar and oil and add more salt and pepper.
- When the first 30 minutes is up, add the remaining vegetables to the pan and stir.
- Roast for another 20 minutes.