Laziness was the inspiration for this recipe. Why? Because I had bratwurst thawed and no buns and I was too lazy to make more buns. So, for some reason, I decided to try it in stroganoff. I don’t know why. But it turned out really interesting. We definitely PREFER regular beef stroganoff, but this was an unusual and tasty alternative.
- 8 links bratwurst sausage
- 2 onions
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine (I used chianti)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- rice, egg noodles, potatoes or whatever you want to serve the stroganoff over
- Cook your bratwurst however you prefer. I tossed mine in a crock pot on low with water and one and a half of the onions for 5-8 hours.
- Chop the remaining half onion and slice the mushrooms.
- When the brats are cooked, slice them into 1/4 to 1/2″ slices.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Working in batches so the pan is not over crowded, saute the sausage until it’s starting to brown. Remove to a bowl.
- Once the sausage is browned, add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the butter/oil mixture. Saute until softened.
- Add the paprika, beef stock, and red wine. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Take the corn starch and mix in a little bit of cold water, stir until smooth. Add to the simmering mixture.
- Add the sausage back and simmer until thickened.
- Prep your rice, egg noodles, potatoes or whatever you’re serving it over.
- Remove from heat, and add the sour cream. Stir until well combined.
- Serve over your starch.