Well let’s recap.
My goal for Round 3 was to:
- Finish and release my debut YA, Red
- Finish and prepare for release the next Mirus novella, Riven
- Draft a working outline of the next full length WIP
How’d I do?
Well, Red was finished, edited, and released by August 14th. It was eight months in the writing. Once it was out the door, my time was sucked up with blog posts and interviews for my two week blog tour at the beginning of September.
During that time, I reviewed what I had of Riven (I had about 20k from a previous draft) and concluded that it was going to need more work than I was prepared to give at the moment and I really wasn’t feeling the characters. So that project got tabled entirely.
I did begin my outline for Devil’s Snare, the next full-length Mirus novel. Not what I thought would be next (had been planning on Revelation, which is the follow up to Blindsight), but I realized that I had to finish telling Mick and Sophie’s story after Devil’s Eye first from a logistics standpoint. So that’s what I’ve been doing. The outline isn’t nearly as clear as I would like, but I’ve got enough to get started soon, so I’m pleased with that.
I have a bad tendency of looking only at what I didn’t accomplish. I often think of myself as a machine who should be able to jump from one project to the next with little down time. And I’m learning that…I’m so not. Which frustrates me because I feel like I’m behind on where I want to be. I’m only going to have one release this year–probably. And depending on what happens with traditional publishers, that one may wind up selling and going away for a while. So, I’m not exactly thrilled with that.
But I did write an 86k novel in a new genre, launch it, and have earned some lovely reviews. I pushed my personal envelope when I wrote that book, and I think it’s my best work to date. That’s not something to sneeze at.