- I finally finished first pass revisions on Know Me Well and shipped it off to my editor last night. Thank you Jesus. It took a full 2 weeks, which is a lot longer than I usually spend on that first pass (generally it’s a pretty quick clean up of stuff, typos, line edits and the like, then out the door in a couple of days), but hopefully that means I caught and fixed a number of things that my editor would’ve caught and had me fix anyway. We’ll see.
- Meanwhile, I’m getting ready to reread To Get Me To You to see what I’ve said about Reed Campbell and Cecily Dixon, who are my pairing for this anthology novella that’s next on deck. I already have it outlined in broad strokes, but I don’t know either of those characters very well yet, so the name of the game this week will be get to know you.
- We’re headed to see Jaws on the big screen this afternoon. It’s hubby’s favorite movie and we’re taking his folks for Father’s Day. I find myself grateful that my trip to the coast isn’t for a few weeks. I’d as soon not think about that so close to seeing Jaws, even though I’d be more likely to be stung by a jellyfish than encounter even a baby shark in those particular waters.
- In case you missed it, I’m setting up a street team (even though no pavement is literally being pounded). If you’re interested in helping spread the word about my work (at whatever level you’re comfortable), come sign up for Team Nolan!
- In celebration of the completion of first pass revisions, last night I had pizza with REAL BUFFALO MOZZARELLA! I found it at Whole Foods, while I was in Jackson earlier this week. I’ve been wanting to try it for ages. When you’ve got a dairy allergy, you tend to try cheeses from the milks of other animals, just to check. Goat didn’t work for me. But it seems that buffalo does. Hallelujah! YAY FOR REAL PIZZA! I’ve also got a wedge of manchego (sheep’s milk cheese) in the fridge to make a very grown up mac n cheese at some point soon. My other food happy for the week is that I found a dairy free gluten free boxed mac n cheese by Daiya at my local Kroger. It’s not that making my own is arduous, but having a box in the pantry for a quick weeknight side is a nice thing. Evidently it’s more of the Velveeta shells and cheese variety rather than the blue box powder. We shall give that a try this week.
- Hubby has moved to night shift in the wake of the unexpected death of one of his coworkers. It’s definitely different. Been a long time since he was on this shift. But though it’s calling for some adjustments, it’s actually a good thing. But it does mean I have to change around my weekday menus to stuff that can be prepared more quickly. Share with me your favorite 30 minute meals (that don’t come from a box) in comments!
There’s always börek! The recipe here is for the feta version but you can make it with finely minced lean ground beef (or turkey, I suppose) as well.
Congrats on finishing your first pass revisions. 🙂 Interesting about the buffalo mozzarella — I work in foodservice, and we sell it. I had no idea that dairy allergies could be effected by what type of animal the milk was from. Very interesting. Hugs on the your hubby’s shift change. Hopefully you’ll adjust quickly. And, sorry for the loss. 🙁
I think this is about 30 minute make time. It’s call Cod in a Sack, but you can use any fish. Take parchment paper a fillet of fish of your choice, chop up 1 onion, 1 anise root (fennel), season to taste, olives optional, fold up the parchment paper and bake about 20 minutes and pop open to eat (after cooling).
Really yummy! 🙂
I feel like a total dingbat. I’ve had buffalo mozzarella, and I just thought that was the name of it. I didn’t know it was actually FROM a buffalo. LOL
Until the dairy allergy came up and I started looking for non cow cheeses, I just thought it had originated in Buffalo, NY…lol!
Eww–night shift–I don’t envy your husband. I did that for a month when I was in college and hated it.
Wow! That pizza looks good. My favorite 30 minute meal is meat loaf, mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts. I had a meat loaf recipe that had an apple butter sauce that went on top, but I lost it.