- So in case you missed it, I finished Red this week. I’ve already plowed through Susan’s revisions and passed it on to a couple of betas and Laurie. It will be ready to release in a week or so.
- In the meantime, I’ve just finished plowing through a reread of Forsaken By Shadow, Devil’s Eye, and Blindsight. It’s kinda weird. I can see my own evolution and the evolution of the series as it exists so far. The work and the voice and the stories get tighter as I go. There are things about FBS that bug me. Not enough to waste time on trying to find a way to change them. It is what it is and mostly it’s had a positive reception. But I’m a better writer now, so I can’t help cringing a little at a few of the things I did in that story. We improve, we move on.
- All this has been in preparation for diving into Riven, the final novella in this opening trilogy. It lacks only about 12k words, so today’s plan is to read what there is of the novella so far and get myself back in Dahlia’s and Orrin’s heads so that I can dive in tomorrow.
- That brings me to my updated #ROW80 goals. I intend to finish and release Riven by mid September. I’m thinking 3 weeks to write, a week to revise, a week to format. That works out to just under 600 words a day. I’ll stick to my current 750 goal with the intention of taking a day off each week.
- On the GIT front…well, I keep breaking my streak with celebratory stuff. I’m still down from last weekend, so I’m going to kick things up to continue that trend. In five and a half weeks, I’m headed up to Tennessee to see my dear Susan and hook up with some other writer pals coming in. I’m giving myself that as a deadline for carving off five pounds. That’s about a pound a week and seems very reasonable. Not like they care what I weigh, but it’s an event and thus gives me a solid goal. That would put me within three pounds of last summer’s low.
- Today I am starting yoga again! I’ve been putting it off. First because I had a bunch of awesome stuff I wanted to read and I can’t read and do yoga at the same time, so I’d been spending a lot more time on the exercise bike. And then because my wrists were bothering me with a nasty carpal tunnel flare up. And then because I was just dreading it. I have NO IDEA why. I usually feel SO MUCH BETTER when I do yoga. I thought about waiting until tomorrow to do it, but I’m a lot more likely to talk myself out of it on Monday morning. So I’m gonna go do that here in a bit before I settle in with Riven.
- This afternoon, we’re headed to see Cowboys and Aliens. I don’t know why I find this notion so appealing. I guess because I mostly haven’t seen or read anything involving aliens in time periods other than the modern era. I mean, there was the latest Indiana Jones, I guess, but it was weird and shouldn’t count.
- Speaking of stuff I haven’t seen before, last night we watched Priest. This was not at ALL what I expected. It was kind of like Firefly meets Blade meets the modern day Knights Templar. A very different sort of vampire story (which is saying something because, dude, I am JADED). Paul Bettany is just awesome. I say this as a general statement because I am continually impressed with his acting chops. The movie itself was this really interesting mix of religion and political and futuristic technology. Worth a watch.
- This week I get to dive into the scheduling of my fall classes. Next semester is just around the corner and I need to get all the stuff laid in. For once I am NOT writing a class during the semester (unless they surprise me and tell me I’m teaching personality again in the spring–got a new book for that one). So I’m enjoying this last day of play before work begins again.
A belated but very heartfelt congratulations on Red! I can’t wait to read it. More Riven/ Mick is always good, too. 😉
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who finds Cowboys and Aliens strangely appealing. I haven’t seen it yet, but I really want to. Enjoy and keep us posted!
I have been following your posts everyday and feeling like I have had this experience with you and certainly experiencing the joy of this achievement. Congratulations! you rock 🙂
Kait, you have so much going on! It’s inspiring. 🙂
I love Daniel Craig, and of course Harrison Ford, so I can’t wait to see the movie. Not to mention the combo alien/western is intriguing. Have fun!
Great progress on the writing front! Yay, you!
One of the first things I thought of when I found out about the get together…I have to lose more weight! LOL. Why do we always do that???
I really, really want to see Cowboys and Aliens. My husband wants to see it even more than I do. It looks great. I wondered what Priest would be like. It sounds like something I would like.
Saw Cowboys and Aliens over the weekend, and it was much, much better than I thought it would be. Definitely a fun summer movie watch.
EEEEEE!!! on Red.
Good job, and good luck with the goals this week. :o)
youve done well – all the best for this week – enjoy the cowboys!