Light alfredo sauce sounds like an oxymoron, doesn’t it? I mean, everything about alfredo sauce is rich and delicious. My prior attempts to make it lighter just didn’t have the right texture or taste, so I admit my skepticism when Classico Light Alfredo sauce came up as an option for the Foodbuzz Tastemakers Program. I signed up anyway because I was curious. This comes in at 60 calories and 5 grams of fat per 1/4 cup and is gluten free. And I have to say I was impressed with it. I usually have very low expectations from any kind of jarred sauce (I’m a food snob; I admit it) and this was really marvelous for an easy weeknight dinner. I’ve already bought a second jar! What follows is my recipe for an easy, gluten free chicken and mushroom alfredo.
- 1 jar Classico Light Alfredo
- 8 oz. Tinkyada brown rice fettuccine (certainly use regular wheat pasta if you like)
- 2 cans mushrooms, drained (or 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced)
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 10 chicken tenderloins or 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Season your chicken with salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Cook as desired. I tossed mine on the grill for 5 minutes per side, then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers.
- Saute for approximately 5 minutes until heated through (or until fresh mushrooms are cooked down).
- Add the drained pasta and chicken.
- Toss until ingredients are well combined.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add the jar of alfredo sauce and continue to stir or toss until everything is well coated.
- Sprinkle fresh ground pepper and parsley to taste.
- Serves 4.
I would be very skeptical about this if it wasn’t you who said it was good. I’m a foodie like you, and I’m very picky about sauces. I’ve NEVER found or made a light Alfredo sauce that I liked. So I really need to look into this one. Light + Good makes me smile!
Thanks for putting the word out in this product. I will look into this one 🙂