- I have not written in 3 days. I wound up with a total of 3410 (last Sunday’s words were included in last week’s total), and got through my Black Moment in Riven, so I’m actually quite pleased with that.
- What I’ve been DOING the last 3 days is a hard core crit of a novel for a friend. Just finished that up and I’m just too tired to write tonight. I’ve been parked on my stool most of the day since 9:30 this morning (minus a quick workout, laundry, some cooking, and a shower). I don’t crit often for people other than Susan and Claire, mostly because I don’t usually have time and because few people can tolerate my special brand of honest feedback (I don’t believe in coddling). As Susan is the Pink Hammer, Andrew has dubbed me the Purple Pulverizer. It’s hard to find the right balance between honest, useful feedback about what will make a book better and how not to flay someone alive. I take flaying quite well in critique (mostly), because Susan is always right (it’s damned annoying). But most people don’t and I certainly don’t have the history with most people to prove that I’m right about stuff either. It is what it is.
- My laptop has gone kaput. Well, not totally kaput, but last weekend, I inadvertently managed to sling water on the keyboard (I was putting dishes away), and evidently it fritzed out the down arrow key, which I use all the time. I ordered a replacement (as I’ve replaced laptop keyboards before) only to find out when I got the thing open that it isn’t attached with screws like a NORMAL keyboard. It’s got some kind of specialized rivets or something. Sigh. Hubby thinks I might still be able to get a hundred bucks for it. We’ll see.
- But I did taxes this morning. We didn’t owe, so I’m putting part of the refund toward a new laptop. It should arrive on Tuesday. Got an Acer this time. I have, over my lifetime, had a few Dells, a Gateway, Sony, HP, Toshiba, and Samsung (most recent). Hubby’s presently got an Asus, so essentially we’ve tried everything on the market at least once. I’m looking forward to getting that all set up.
- Peanut butter M & Ms are crack. That is all.
- Yesterday I hauled my living room chairs to the reupholstry guy. I’m super excited to have them recovered. They’re going to look so much better! I inherited these from my mom (there are pictures of me in same chairs when I was 12 or 13–so it was TIME). I like them because they AREN’T oversized like so much furniture is now. I’m SHORT, and these FIT my body and short legs.
- Now that my brain is freed up from this critique, I can get back on the plotting train for various projects. Lately I’ve been trying to think of short stories to go along with such projects. Something I can write that would be both exploratory for me and a nice little extra to put out along with the full length whatever to draw interest. And practice at writing shorter things.
- Happy St. Paddy’s Day!
Always good to see someone else going 100 miles an hour in twenty different directions…at once. Hope you had a great SPD.